top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Bridge Burford

You Will Need Photo ID to Vote

Following a change to our electoral laws, voters will need to produce photographic ID in order to vote, starting with this year’s local elections on 4 May. This will not affect voters in The Bridge’s area of circulation in West Oxfordshire, where no elections are scheduled for this year, but will apply to those in Cotswold District. It is something we will all have to get used to from now on.

Residents who are eligible to vote are being urged to make sure they are ready to vote in May by checking they have an accepted form of ID.

Accepted forms of ID include a UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Commonwealth passport; a UK, EEA or Commonwealth drivers’ licence; and some concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass. Voters will be able to use expired ID if they are still recognisable from the photo and the name on the ID should be the same name as appears on the Electoral Register.

Anyone who does not have one of the accepted forms of ID will be able to apply for free ID online at or by completing a paper form which is available from the District Council.


bottom of page